Sunday, August 07, 2011

Unwelcomed Visitor

Earlier this evening (yesterday evening, actually) I was sitting in my room, killing time before heading out to catch a football game in the park, when all of a sudden I felt something fly through the slit in my window and brush past me.  As it landed on my dresser I thought it looked like a big moth, but as it moved I realized that it was actually a cockroach.  Now I can kill a spider or an ant (both of which I have seen way too often in my room), but once you put wings on these things, I'm tapping out.  There's a difference between killing a spider from the safe distance of my bed and trying to kill a flying cockroach as it's zipping around my face.  Call me soft, but the thought of bugs touching my skin makes me cringe.  So as I saw this massive thing land right next to my door I thought, "Crap. How am I going to get out of here?"  When it finally made a move, I made mine, dashing out my bedroom door.  I peered back in and thought, "Crap.  Now what am I going to do?"  I couldn't just leave it to stay in my room and have little cockroach babies, but I also couldn't bring myself to kill it, so I did what any chicken would do:  I knocked on my roommate's door (Azilla Clarke, who happens to be the Director of Social and Community Development for St. Kitts).  "You ever kill a cockroach?" I asked as she opened the door.  Ever so bravely she grabbed her shoe and took care of my little unwelcomed visitor.  I stood useless in the hall with my camera until it was over.  At least one thing was for sure, though. It was going to rain tonight.  (Apparently that's what happens when cockroaches come out, especially if they're flying.  I don't know the science behind it, but that's what the folks here tell me).  Sure enough, the rain came down....So that concludes my little bit of undesired excitement for the evening. 
      
The Hero
The Enemy

1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap that's a big bug. I would have to take something bigger that a shoe to try to kill it. You have a very brave roommate and I sure hope you thanked her profusely. It must have poured that night, in relation to the size of the cockroach. Stay safe, not much longer until you come home to the big spiders ;)

    ReplyDelete