Monday, August 01, 2011

Culturama in Nevis....everybody move!


 




While most of my friends in Toronto were taking part in the much anticipated annual Caribana festival this weekend, I also got to enjoy some festivities over seas.  This weekend marks the 37th annual Culturama festival in Nevis, celebrating their Emancipation Day (August 1). This morning I headed over with my boss, Mr. DeSuza and his two daughters, Asha and Tonya, on a ferry to Nevis at 8:30am to take part in J'ouvert Morning (much like the one I went to in Cayon, St. Kitts in mid-June).  It was hot (minus a little bit of a breeze and some rain); there was soca, dancehall, and calyspo music playing; and of course, lots of dancing!  Today in particular also made me think about one of the topics YIIP asked us to write about in our blogs: MOVEMENT.  When I think of Kittitians with regards to the topic of movement, I think of dancing or 'wuk up' as they say.  It's funny, people here are really interested in seeing how I, a Canadian, can dance.  I admit, I don't have moves like any island girl I've seen, but it's been fun getting out of my shell and loosening up to take part in the fun.  You can't go to J'ouvert and not dance, because someone will come up and dance with you, regardless.  You won't catch me in any of these video clips, but nevertheless, rather than try to explain what wuk up looks like, I'll let you see for yourselves how people on the island move: 





Have I ever mentioned that Kittitians (and Nevisians) know how to have a good time??!!  The fun didn't stop there either.  After a few hours in the heat, they decided to cool the crowd down with a 'wash down'.  (For those who know him, you can even catch a glimps of my boss and BNTF Project Manager, Osbert DeSuza in the next video clip getting in on the action!)  By the way, the song you hear being played over and over again is a popular summer tune called 'Soap Drop' by a local music group, Sugar Band.  Lyrics are, uh, pretty self-explanatory, ahem.    







By noon, J'ouvert Morning was coming to a close and we made our way back to St. Kitts. Tomorrow is the last day of Culturama, which I may just use to catch up on some sleep before heading back to the office on Wednesday.   


A shot of Nevis from the ferry

One other festivity I don't want to neglect. Today is my younger sister's 22nd birthday!  Happy birthday Tonya! 


1 comment:

  1. Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

    ReplyDelete